Re: openldap stops responding after some time

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 12:23:53PM +0000, Daniel Betz wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> i hope you can help me with my problem.
>
> To my setup:
>
> All servers are OpenLDAP 2.4.42
>
> I have an master LDAP server, which replicates with standard syncrepl to an consumer ldap.
> On this consumer ldap server i have configured an standalone slapd proxy ldap with slapd-ldap which pushes changes to more than 6000 consumer ldaps.
>
> There are more ldap proxys running, with each 500 consumers to reduce startup time.
>
> The master and slave are connected via TCP, and the ldap proxys are on the slave via socket.
>
> Everything works fine and changes are replicated in realtime to the consumers behind the proxy, but after some time ( about 20 to 30 minutes ) the slave ldap just hangs and isnt responding anymore.

I'm not going to claim I had the same problem as you, but we had
Java code that messed up a connection pool, and from the view of
our OpenLDAP server, via strace we saw the process spinning on a
wait on a file handle, and that file handle process to be one
controlled by that Java code.

Until we cleaned up the Java code, our workaround was to introduce
settings like this in our slapd.conf file:

  idletimeout     30
  writetimeout    60

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>