Openldap vs 389

Hello,

I have been testing sporadically openldap two years now, including many advanced features, sql, ppolicy, etc we are currently evaluating openldap along with redhat's 389 for enterprise use as RBAC, on which we will built upon our existing infrastructure. We want to have full password policy enabled, in order to meet requirements for passing SOX (Sarbanes Oxley) compliance. 389's documentation is lousy, I haven't tried anything exotic (sql, etc) with it, the reason we are looking at it is because it is favored by kolab.org and likely to come as standard in future kolab versions.
So I would like your opinion on this. Pros/Cons to choose openldap or 389 directory server as our long term strategic decision?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead