Re: log_rdns.patch

A. Schulze wrote:

Hi again,

this is my third and last patch I send today :-)

I compiled openldap with '--enable-rlookups' and set 'reverse-lookup on' in
slapd.conf
I like to see the remote hostname logged. That didn't work somehow.
( I wrote this patch months ago and could not describe the real problem anymore)

Anyway: the patch modify log output:

   reverse-lookup off:
     conn=4846 fd=42 ACCEPT from IP=127.0.0.1:46058 (IP=127.0.0.1:389)

   reverse-lookup on:
     conn=4191 fd=18 ACCEPT from localhost (IP=127.0.0.1:389)

I never tested with ldapi:// connections.
Also I expect the patch is not optimal for performance. But it works here in a
small environment.

Indeed, in a busy environment the DNS resolver itself is too slow for slapd. I've got no particular comment on this patch since I never enable reverse lookups. But IMO, this sort of thing is best left to a logfile postprocessor, because handling it directly in slapd will be too slow.

--
  -- Howard Chu