this could be helpful as well: configuration variable which defines maximum values for pwdFailureTime. and in case that number of actual values reached max value, do not update that attribute anymore. Yes, this will store NUM oldest failed attempts, but ensure that pwdFailureTime will not be updated forever. but this seems to be request for ppolicy overlay code update rather than any external script.

thanks

michal

On 2016-02-22 3:38, David Magda wrote:
On Feb 21, 2016, at 11:48, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Bruncko Michal wrote:
Hello list

We use ppolicy overlay for enforcing password lifecycle. Recently we faced with following issue and now I am trying to do some countermeasures to
minimize risk of issue reoccurring.
[…]
now the question: did anybody considered this "effect" of using
"pwdFailureTime" attribute? If so, what can I do to avoid this behavior to occur? Or how you are facing with this potential kind of issues? On one side it is fine to see some failure attempt history. Also keeping pwdFailureTime
limited to some max number of values will not help as the LDAP modify
operation have to be done anyway. For me the only useful possibility is to NOT use this attribute pwdFailureTime at all, but how to do it? I haven't found
any possibility to disable using this attribute.

This is ITS#8327. The fix is released in 2.4.44.

You should upgrade.

You should not be using any BerkeleyDB-based backends, use back-mdb which does not need transaction log files.

If you cannot upgrade for some reason, someone wrote a Perl script
that deletes ‘excessive' pwdFailureTime attributes:

	http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/201507/msg00012.html