Re: ppolicy overlay and disk space exhaution

Bruncko Michal wrote:
Hello list

We use ppolicy overlay for enforcing password lifecycle. Recently we faced
with following issue and now I am trying to do some countermeasures to
minimize risk of issue reoccurring.
We use openldap server for user authentication. Here we store objects of real
users as well as system users (for daemons and so on). We use redundant setup
with two openldap servers running in mirror mode (multi-master).
- Few days ago I find out that I wasn't able to log into service which uses
this LDAP as authentication backend.
- I find out that BOTH openldap servers are down (simply process wasn't
listening)
- checked LDAP database partition (dedicated partition for storing both DB and
LOG BDB transaction files) and it was exhausted on both servers
- reason of this exhaustion was a couple of BDB log files created just within
last few minutes before daemon went down
- based on slapd logs it seems that one system user (used by Nagios) had
expired password - for which I forgot to set no password expiration
- and it seems that those failed authentication tries caused this transaction
logs to exhaust partition, as because for each failed bind, new
"pwdFailureTime" value was added into object which is basically normal ldap
modify operation causing transaction log to involve.
- and as because that system user was used by Nagios for various purposes and
LDAP BIND rate was really high, it effectively behave like DoS to kill my ldap
servers due partition space exhausting

obviously I have fixed policy for that system user to keep password with
unlimited expiration time. but anyway this DoS can be basically reproduced by
any real user from outside to effectively kill those ldap servers. Redundancy
with multiple servers does not provide any benefit as modifying pwdFailureTime
is propagated over all cluster servers with same result to disk space. Also
expanding partition will not help - it only extends service availability based
on allocated space - and bdb log consuming was really huge - 15 log files
(each with 10MB size) was created just within two minutes!!

now the question: did anybody considered this "effect" of using
"pwdFailureTime" attribute? If so, what can I do to avoid this behavior to
occur? Or how you are facing with this potential kind of issues? On one side
it is fine to see some failure attempt history. Also keeping pwdFailureTime
limited to some max number of values will not help as the LDAP modify
operation have to be done anyway. For me the only useful possibility is to NOT
use this attribute pwdFailureTime at all, but how to do it? I haven't found
any possibility to disable using this attribute.

This is ITS#8327. The fix is released in 2.4.44.

You should upgrade.

You should not be using any BerkeleyDB-based backends, use back-mdb which does not need transaction log files.

openldap-2.4.40/Centos6

many thanks for help

michal

--