Invalid credentials

I’m trying to debug a new openldap install on Debian Jessie.

Password has been set with slappasswd, no command line options. I get a {SSHA} hash returned – what am I putting in slapd.conf for the admin password: the hashed (as rootpw {SSHA} password) or unhashed (as rootpw password) password? Either returns ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49) when I restart slapd and perform an ldapsearch. Rootdn has been correctly set in slapd.conf.

What can I provide in terms of output or log info to help some kind soul help me?