From: openldap-technical [mailto:openldap-technical-bounces@openldap.org] On Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:09 PM
To: Jason Talley <jbtalley98@gmail.com>; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: OCSP for LDAP Client

Jason Talley wrote:
> I've been asked to enable OCSP checking in our client  (connecting to
> any LDAP
> server) .  The client uses  OpenLdap api's for managing the connection
> to the server.  From my recent birth-by-fire education on certs and
> security, OCSP checking appears more or less to be a manual process
> rather than having OpenSSL do all the work auto-magically as part of
> the handshake (ignoring ocsp stapling which I'm avoiding).  I don't
> see any options in openssl s_client (for testing) to enable OCSP --
> only a separate utility to manually check based on captured client certs.
>
> Storing the CRL in the LDAP DB isn't an option.  For whatever reason,
> OCSP is required.
>
> Is there any way to enable OCSP checking via the current LDAP API?

There is nothing in the LDAP API for this.

> Assuming
> the answer is no, then would a reasonable approach be to manually
> query the server URL from time to time, and verify the certificate in the background?

Sure.

--
   -- Howard Chu

“This message is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately.”