Out of ideas when troubleshooting TLS negotiation failure

This feels like a lame question, but I'm out of ideas, so...

I'm moving samba service between a couple of FreeBSD systems (9.3 to 10.2), and I'm stuck on getting samba on the new machine to connect to our openldap server over ssl - frustrating since I've been running samba+ldap for 15 years or so; feel sure I'm missing something basic!

The smbd-to-ldap connection works fine with no encryption, but I get errors when using either TLS to port 389 ("Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Connect error") or SSL to 636.

However I'm pretty certain it's not a certificate or CA validation issue. All my other ldap clients on that server are working as expected, including a simple "ldapsearch -ZZ". Both openssl s_client and gnutls-cli show the ldap server certificate validating.

Maximum debugging on the ldap server gave me:
connection_read(3): TLS accept failure error=-1 id=1042, closing
conn=1042 fd=3 closed (TLS negotiation failure)

Running smbd under gbd shows ldap_start_tls_s (ldap_struct, NULL, NULL) in smb_ldap_start_tls is returning -11 (LDAP_CONNECT_ERROR). That doesn't give me any ideas, sadly!

Capturing the packet exchange between smbd and slapd, I'm seeing the (smbd) client sends a "decrypt error" (TLS alert code 51) to the ldap server after receiving the certificate, while the working "ldapsearch -ZZ" moves on to client key exchange etc.

Besides all my other ldap clients working successfully, I think I'd expect to see a TLS alert more like 42-48 if it were a cert validation problem.

I'm not sure where to try looking next for the cause, would welcome any suggestions...

Thanks, Graham