Re: Complex multi-master topology

Patrick wrote:
On 02/10/15 02:35 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:
Patrick wrote:
dn: cn=config
objectClass: olcGlobal
[...]
olcServerID: 1 ldap://ldap1
olcServerID: 2 ldap://ldap2
olcServerID: 3 ldap://ldap3

Note that

1. you should probably use FQDNs instead of short names

2. you must explicitly start slapd to -h ldap://ldap1 etc. to really assign
the server-ID to a certain replica.

BTW: Personally I prefer to not replicate cn=config (I'm using static
configuration anyway) and just add one server ID per instance to avoid the
strong dependency on -h option.

Ciao, Michael.

Yeah, for simplicity purpose, i removed the fqdn, ssl stuff and
everything from my post... i see i should have included it all.

but yeah, it is all present, starting with -h ldaps://ldap1.fdqn,
getting my /etc/hosts with the required stuff.

it works when every master talk to each other, but i'm one step further
where not every ldap will be available to talk to each other in our prod
environment

This works:

     +-------------------------------+
     v                               V
+-------+       +-------+       +-------+
| ldap1 | <---> | ldap2 | <---> | ldap3 |
+-------+       +-------+       +-------+

this doesn.t:

| ldap1 | <---> | ldap2 | <---> | ldap3 |

Yeah, replicating cn=config is only viable if all servers work with identical configuration. Making this configuration work would require adding a qualifier to the syncrepl config to restrict which server nodes it activates on. I think it would be worthwhile to add a feature for this, but it doesn't exist at the moment. Feel free to submit an Enhancement request to the ITS.

Patrick Brideau
Administrateur Système
Kronos Technologies - http://www.kronos-web.com
tel: 418 877-5400 p.216