ClearText Passwords in slapcat: please provide some inputs

Hi people,

I am using ubuntu and phpldapadmin to manage openldap.

I have here a big issue: when using phpldapadmin/openldap, all the times there is (for each user/entry) a field with

cleartextPassword: <cleartextpassword> (this is seen in slapcat output)

What I want is to put in place a mechanism where there is no plain text field with the password in clear in each entry of openldap.

I have read about ppolicy overlay, slappasswd and so on but so far I was not able to figure out how to avoid this annoying clear text password available when I do a slapcat (as root of course)

Does anybody had such an issue ?

Any ideas or links to point for a solution?

Another question:
is it possible that this clear text password is somehow needed for the correct operation of openldap?

Thanks a lot for your time and (I hope) help.

Kind regards,

Manuel - Lisbon PT

This is what I got for the user mafonso (me) when doing a slapcat > output : (as can be seen there is the field cleartextPassword: with pass in clear text)

dn: cn=mafonso,ou=***,dc=***,dc=***,dc=***,dc=pt
objectClass: ****Person
objectClass: mailAccount
objectClass: sambaSamAccount
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
givenName: Manuel
sn: Afonso
displayName: Manuel Afonso
cn: mafonso
mailacceptinguser: 1
maildrop: mafonso@***.pt
intranetRole: cn=**,ou=**,ou=**,dc=**,dc=**,dc=**,dc=pt
portalRole: ***
gidNumber: 516
sambaSID: ***
uidNumber: 1399