Re: Replication speed and data sizing (mdb)

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 05:19:22PM -0700, Brian Wright wrote:

> We're trying to solve the problem of how to recover/replace a failed
> node in a system containing a very large number of records and bring
> it back into the cluster as quickly as possible. We're also trying
> to resolve how to ensure that replication works consistently on
> restart.

In terms of recovering a failed node, the very fastest method is to use
a database backup made with mdb_copy. The output from that command is
a file that can be used directly as an MDB database so all you have to do
is put it in place and restart slapd. Even if the backup is a day or two
old, the replication process should bring in the more recent changes
from another server.

If your servers have identical software, you can even take a backup
from one server and install it on another one. That gives you a quick
way of copying in very fresh data.

Note that mdb_copy is not installed by default. For safety you must
use a binary built from the same OpenLDAP distribution as your slapd.
You will find the source for the MDB tools in
openldap-2.4.*/libraries/liblmdb

There are some caveats with mdb_copy. In particular it can cause
database bloat if run on a server that has a heavy write load at the
time.

Andrew