OpenLDAP with SASL not working

Greetings,

I am using OpenLDAP 2.4.39 with SASL 2.1.23 on CentOS 6.6.
I have setup this CentOS server with the same configuration as I have on a working RedHat 6.6 server.
However with this CentOS server the SASL combination is not working.
Using LDAP without SASL with a SSHA password authentication works.
When using pass-through SASL I see a err=49 in the slapd output and the client sees Invalid Credentials.
I see no output in saslauthd when run in debug when using LDAP.
Running testsaslauthd alone works as expected and this does generate output in the saslauthd debug terminal.
It appears that saslauthd never gets the request from slapd.
Any suggestions on how to debug this further in order to determine why it is not working appreciated.

Thanks,