From: Леонид Юрьев [mailto:leo@yuriev.ru]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 6:59 PM
To: Shu, Xinxin
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: large write amplification

Hi, Xinxin.

I will try to answer briefly, without a details:

- To allow readers be never blocked by a writer, LMDB provides a snapshot of data, indexes and directory for each completed transaction.

- Most of a db-pages (which is not changed by a particular
transaction) are "shared" between such snapshots. But any changes of data itself and reflection to btree-indexes (include a particular table, free-db, main-db and so forth) require a new pages to be used and written to the disk.

- In a large db a small "one-byte" change may make "dirty" a lot of db-pages (usualy 4K each). For example, one add/del/mod operation in LDAP-db with size of few GB,  requires about 50-100 page-level IOPS.

Leonid.

P.S.
For highload uses-cases I made a few changes in our fork of OpenLDAP/LMDB.
A one of these features we called "LIFO reclaiming".
It give us 10-50 times performance boost, especially by engaging benefits of write-back cache of storage subsystem.
Nowadays we used it in our production (telco) environment.
But currently ones is not safe for all cases, see
https://github.com/ReOpen/ReOpenLDAP/issues/2 and https://github.com/ReOpen/ReOpenLDAP/issues/1.