Re: OpenLDAP keeps on dying sporadically

--On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:14 PM +0200 Leander Schäfer <info@netocean.de> wrote:

Looks like your liblber was installed without debug symbols. Most of
these stack traces look invalid.
What does this mean? How did you see this / what indicated this to you?
Is it required to fix this liblber issue for a better debug result, or is
it ok for first diagnosis?

It means either or both of:

You didn't compile with CFLAGS="-g" (debugging) and/or when you did install, you didn't do:

make install STRIP=""

so that the debugging symbols don't get stripped out.

I generally recommend compiling slapd with:

CFLAGS="-g -O0"

I.e., debugging symbols, and no attempts at optimizing the code. Generally my experience with various compilers has shown that at least in the OpenLDAP Case, higher optimization levels are not beneficial and simply make debugging significantly harder.

Platform Architect
Zimbra, Inc.