Re: Definition of an object.

On 04/06/15 23:39, Michael Ströder wrote:
dE wrote:
I was reading RFC 4512, here there is a mention of 'object' for the first time
in "Object identifiers (OIDs) [X.680] are represented in....".

Question is what is an object?

Is it an entry (aka directory) in the server?

From http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4512#section-2.4

--------------------------- snip ---------------------------
   An object class is "an identified family of objects (or conceivable
   objects) that share certain characteristics" [X.501].
   [..]
      Object classes are used in the Directory for a number of purposes:

        - describing and categorizing objects and the entries that
          correspond to these objects;

I understand this as objects are real-world items and the LDAP entries contain certain details (attributes) of these objects.

But why are you asking?

Ciao, Michael.

Yeah, I got it cleared a few hours later.

Thanks for pointing it out.