Re: Sorting the NAME Attribute

> However, I will note, the definitions of these attributes are RFC
> defined. They have no ORDERING rule on purpose.

Just a quick follow-up on my own post:

The RFC is based on the ITU specification, which (as of ITU-T Rec.
X.520 (11/2008)) says:

6.2.1: Name: The Name attribute type is the attribute supertype from
which string attribute types typically used for naming may be formed.

name ATTRIBUTE ::= {
  WITH SYNTAX UnboundedDirectoryString
  EQUALITY MATCHING RULE caseIgnoreMatch
  SUBSTRINGS MATCHING RULE caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
  ID id-at-name }

That certainly suggests that matching against this field should be
case-insensitive, so it follows that ordering should also be
case-insensitive.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg@ucsc.edu