Re: How to use ldapsearch -Esync ?

Thomas Cort wrote:
I'm writing a script that acts on changes in LDAP.

I've abandoned this idea. The ldapsearch utility doesn't decode SyncInfo
messages which provide valuable information. Instead, it simply prints
"SyncInfo Received". This is worse than printing nothing at all because it
causes my LDIF parser to choke.

I think either the slapd-perl or slapd-shell backends are better suited to
my needs than tailing the output of ldapsearch -Esync/rp

I'd rather recommend not to use slapd-perl or slapd-shell backends.

I'd recommend to look into these options:
1. back-sock (also usable as overlay)
2. changes written to a separate DB slapo-accesslog
3. implement your own syncrepl client with a decent scripting language. For Python see [1], not sure whether there is a decent syncrepl module for Perl.

All options have pros and cons.

Ciao, Michael.

[1] http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/ldap-syncrepl.html