Re: what is wrong with my permissions?

Further, I just unsuccessfully tried one more thing: Adding another
line to olcAccess for individual DIT databases, [i.e. dn:
olcDatabase={1}hdb,cn=config and dn: olcDatabase={2}hdb,cn=config ]
olcAccess: {3}to * by dn.exact=cn=config

I am still getting an error: no write access to parent.

A fragment from my slapcat(8) output:
olcAccess: {0}to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange by self write by anonymou
 s auth by dn="cn=admin,dc=directory,dc=com" write by * none
olcAccess: {1}to dn.base="" by * read
olcAccess: {2}to * by self write by dn="cn=admin,dc=directory,,dc=com
 " write by * read
olcAccess: {3}to * by dn.exact=cn=config
olcLastMod: TRUE
olcRootDN: cn=admin,dc=directory,dc=com