syncrepl multiple providers?

We have a multi-master pair and multiple replicas hanging off it.  Currently we have to use a physical load balancer between the replicas and the masters so that the replicas can survive if one master goes down.

Is it possible to configure syncrepl on the consumer side with a failover policy so that if one provider goes down it can automatically retry against another?  That would remove the need for separate load balancers.  Or should I be looking at deploying something like HAProxy on each LDAP replica?

Thanks,
Mark.