OpenLDAP Inheritance not working

I’m running into an issue with adding users to LDAP, when I use the following LDIF
dn: mail=jsmith,ou=customers,dc=mydeqcust,dc=org
cn: John Smith
sn: Smith
uid: jsmith
mail: jsmith@dev.local
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
mail: jsmith
it adds fine, however does not show any attributes from OrginizationalPerson or Person. I checked in the slapd.d schema files and all the objectClasses have the correct SUP records.
My understanding from the docs at http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/apa/ldif-objects.html was that openldap will include the inherited items automatically.
I’m running slapd 2.4.39 with the slapd.d config style. Is there an additional option I need to configure?

Matthew Marshall
Network/Systems Engineer
602-771-4637

NOTICE: This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged and confidential under state and federal law. This information may be used or disclosed only in accordance with law, and you may be subject to penalties under law for improper use or further disclosure of the information in this e-mail and its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the person named above by reply e-mail, and then delete the original e-mail. Thank you.