Re: GSSAPI vs GSS-SPNEGO

Dan White wrote:
On 12/28/14 11:24 -0500, Brendan Kearney wrote:
On Sun, 2014-12-28 at 02:50 +0000, Howard Chu wrote:
Brendan Kearney wrote:
> i want to use the "pass-through" auth mechanism with sasl, so that i
> validate credentials against the kerberos database, and not have to
> maintain passwords in multiple places.

ok, then i have misunderstood PLAIN vs SIMPLE, it seems.  i will back up
and explain what i am trying to do.

apache, dhcp and freeradius can all use ldap for various functionality.
they all use what i now believe to be SIMPLE auth, where they are using
"cn=user,dc=domain,dc=tld" as ldap usernames.  these processes are using
ldap for authentication, whereas i have only kerberos authentication
setup in my environment (and ldap authorization).  my hope was that sasl
could allow me to push the ldap authN request through to kerberos, and
in essence proxy the authentication.

This is a valid use of pass-through in my opinion,

Too many moving parts, and all unnecessary. He already has his KDC data stored in LDAP, he should just use {K5KEY} password scheme and be done with it.

You're just making extra work.

but you'll want to
protect the authentication as Howard mentioned over ldapi:/// ideally, or
tls otherwise.

--
  -- Howard Chu