Re: 2.4.40 RPMs for openSUSE

Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Nachricht <54895505.5050005@stroeder.com>:
> in

>>> AFAIK SLES 12 (current) will ship 2.4.39; it shouldn't be hard to use the
>> SRPM
>>> to upgrade to 2.4.40.
>>
>> Actually the package was not made from scratch.
>> It's branched from the original openSUSE package.
>>
>>> I never did it, but I guess you can use the SUSE build
>>> server to do the job.
>>
>> Before telling everybody what's already known:
>>
>> Did you actually read my e-mail?
>> If yes, then you should have seen that the links in my e-mail are pointing
>> the SUSE build service.
>
> The links are pointing to some location within opensuse.org,

No. https://build.opensuse.org is *the* link to the SUSE build service.
Even a SuSE beginner, like myself, should know that.

> and it's not
> ovbious from the URI how the packages were built, and no: I' don't klick on
> every link in every message, especially if I don't want to download the
> software at the URI.

Feel free to ignore information provided.
But don't whine when you're ignored then.

>> Please stop writing here when you're not willing to spend at least two
>> minutes for reading and thinking before posting.
>
> Unfriendly tone seems to be common on this list.
>
> Maybe add to your signature: "I'm a guru, don't try to tell me anything, even
> if it seems I'm asking for advice"

If you dig into mailing list archives you can see that I give unpaid volunteer
support since 15+ years now. I do this because other skilled people helped me
when I was a beginner. And I can claim that I'm most times quite patient
explaining things. I'm also not perfect either and consider myself to be still
learning.

The point is: Your postings are often plain wrong. It costs of lot of time to
correct your false statements so that mailing list archive is not filled with
rubbish leading beginners into the wrong direction.

The deal with functional community support is:
Don't generate extra work for the experts.
Be committed to take over work items you can do yourself.

So ask yourself before blaming others for their tone:

What's your community contribution up to now?

Ciao, Michael.