Re: -DLDAP_CONNECTIONLESS

Michael Ströder wrote:
Dieter Klünter wrote:
Am Wed, 10 Dec 2014 00:01:11 +0100
schrieb Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>:

Dieter Klünter wrote:
Am Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:46:55 +0100
schrieb Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>:
Another packaging decision:

Is building with -DLDAP_CONNECTIONLESS of any real use?

Is there any harm using it?

There should be no harm to compile.  Early Samba4 used udp for
transport.

I thought Samba4 has its own LDAP client and server implementation.

As I mentioned 'early Samba4', and development leading to 4.

Are you sure Samba4 uses connection-less LDAP implementation of
OpenLDAP's libldap?

They are, for the time being, not using libldap.

=> dropped -DLDAP_CONNECTIONLESS

BTW: Experience shows that the code of rarely needed or unused features most
times get not much attention. Thus it's also a security measure not to add it.

As I noted at the beginning of this year, http://symas.com/docs/2014FOSDEM-WhatsNewInOpenLDAP.pdf there has been a renewed effort to build Samba4/AD compatibility inside OpenLDAP. This LDAP_CONNECTIONLESS feature was originally written for PADL's XAD, an AD clone built on top of OpenLDAP, and it is being reused for the same purpose (AD compatibility) again now.

--
  -- Howard Chu