Antw: Performance impact of linking libwrap

Nachricht <548704F9.7030504@stroeder.com>:
> HI!
>
> I'm currently trying to upgrade an OpenLDAP package for a openSUSE
> distribution.

Very good!

> The original package links slapd with libwrap which made sense in former
> times
> on systems without local host firewall mechanisms.

Maybe even with firewall _mechanism_, some people may prefer using tcp
wraapper instead. Still many products and consultants claim that firewalls have
to be disabled 8-(

> If libwrap does not have a major performance impact I'd keep it that way
> just
> for sake of backward compability.
>
> But AFAICT if slapd is linked with libwrap the TCP wrapper is always asked
> whether a connection is allowed or not. One cannot disable it by slapd
> configuration.
>
> So the question is: How big is the performance impact?

As you are building anyway, why not do a simple performance test as part of
your package testing?

Regards,
Ulrich