Re: Antw: Re: Q: roles for authentication

(Please get the citation correctly wrapped so I don't have to re-edit it.)

Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>> Multiple DNs can be members of a group/rolem, and you can use group
>>> names when assigning ACLs. To authenticate, a user will use his DN and
>>> own password.
>>> Now when a DN is member of multiple roles/groups, authenticating as
>>> member assignes all the rights each group/role has.
>>
>> It depends. Note that order of the ACLs and <who> clause within ACLs is
>> significant.
>
> But you use the role name for <who>, right?

In simple and most cases, yes.

But it does not mean that the roles are all effective at the *same* time.
You can influence the control flow of the ACLs and stop before ACLs or skip ACLs.

https://www.google.de/search?q=ldapcon+rbac

>> But IMO there's not much point in doing so because if the user's
>> credentials are intercepted the attacker can gain access to any role.
>
> Correct.

At least the system should enforce that the user has to re-authenticate before
changing the role. Using OTP mech this would be acceptable.

Ciao, Michael.