Re: Removing unused schemas - recommended?

Chris Neilson wrote:
> Is it advisable to remove unused schemas? Does including unused schemas result
> in any sort of performance penalty (e.g. while booting or when doing searches)?

Regarding slapd there's no noticable performance penalty.

If you have schema-aware LDAP client applications there could be a small
performance penalty if those do not implement decent schema caching.  There
are only very few schema-aware LDAP client applications which are worth using
anyway.

> If I want to use syncrepl to replicate my data do I have to have the exact
> same list of schemas in the same order on the consumer (i.e. does the number
> in the curly braces matter)?

In general (for safety) and if in doubt: Yes.

There might be exceptions in some rare corner cases and if you really know
what you're doing. ;-]

> If I add a schema to a consumer does it have to
> be added to the provider as well even if the attributes it contains are unused?

Most times no.

Ciao, Michael.