Re: Performance impact of linking libwrap

Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>> I'm currently trying to upgrade an OpenLDAP package for a openSUSE
>> distribution.
>>
>> The original package links slapd with libwrap which made sense in former times
>> on systems without local host firewall mechanisms.
>> If libwrap does not have a major performance impact I'd keep it that way just
>> for sake of backward compability.
>>
>> But AFAICT if slapd is linked with libwrap the TCP wrapper is always asked
>> whether a connection is allowed or not. One cannot disable it by slapd
>> configuration.
>>
>> So the question is: How big is the performance impact?
>
> How much does it matter?

That's what I'm trying to find out. ;-)

> libwrap has to fopen two files (/etc/hosts.allow and
> hosts.deny) and read their rules, every time a connection is received. That's
> pretty significant overhead, but if you're not receiving thousands of
> connections per second, it probably doesn't matter.

Hmm, I will drop it since the same functionality can be easily achieved on
this platform by using local kernel firewall.

BTW: I'm using this package also on rasperry pi. So calling fopen() twice
seems significant to me.

Ciao, Michael.