Re: Which schema to use?

Nick Bright wrote:
> Are there any pre-defined schema (or combination of schema) available that I
> could use with openldap that would provide some or all these attributes:
>
> accountid (integer)
> customerid (integer)
> nodeid (integer)
> accounttype (string)
> accesspoint (string)
> ipaddress (ip address)
> latitude (float)
> longitude (float)
> macaddress (string)

This question clearly exceeds what can be seriously answered in two or three
sentences. Especially since the attributes you mentioned above imply a pretty
broad scope with various entities.

So you have to sit down and make your homework:

1. Specify exact semantics of all entities and their needed attributes

2. Determine which LDAP clients are supposed to use the entries and what those
expect as LDAP schema

3. Find standard schemas matching the semantics defined in 1. and what's
expected by LDAP clients defined in 2.

4. Define custom schema for additional things required in 1.

> A link to a novice/beginner guide for how to create schema would be helpful too.

Sorry, I don't know such a guide.

It's sometimes helpful to look at existing LDAPschema. I'm regularly using my
web2ldap for this which has the most powerful built-in schema browser out there.

Ciao, Michael.