Re: storing ldap passwords on HSM

Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Howard Chu wrote:
>>>
>>> The SASL SCRAM mechanism works without a plaintext userPassword.
>>
>> Yes, but AFAIK not the current cyrus-sasl implementation.
>
> Hm, Cyrus-SASL 2.1.26 with SCRAM was released in 2012.
>
>> Not to speak of lack of support by client implementations...
>
> Any client that uses the Cyrus-SASL libraries should have support without any
> extra effort.

Hmm, some extra effort is needed in clients, especially when they have a UI or
complex configuration. At a minimum you have to register a new SASL mech as
being a password-based mech.

You might have guessed: I've added SCRAM support to web2ldap right after SCRAM
support appeared in cyrus-sasl release.

> They may need tweaks to support channel binding, but the basic
> authentication mech works.

Yes, but how many clients provide the input form or configuration for choosing
SCRAM?

Ciao, Michael.