Re: cn=config and mdb questions

Am Mon, 08 Dec 2014 15:05:28 +1000
schrieb Da Rock <openldap-technical@herveybayaustralia.com.au>:

> Aside from other issues (which haven't really been solved... just
> possibly worked around :/), I've been doing some tinkering and have
> raised some questions which I'm hoping will have answers to.
>
> 1. cn=config and friends: Looking at the schema and methods used to
> implement this config type, I got to considering that I could (in
> theory) name my databases such as olcDatabase=MyLDAPDatabase (or the
> like), rather than bdb/hdb/mdb. I then found that I couldn't and then
> looked it up to see why - I found that it had a naming restriction,
> but not why. Aside from possible limits within the programming as it
> stands now, is there some semantical issue why this is the case?
> Wouldn't possibly be easier to determine which database is which if
> the administrator was able to name them as they wish?

OpenLDAP provides a multitude of backends/databases
you have to define the database required somewhere, and that is per
definition the configuration parameter database or oclDatabase.

> 2. mdb: I know this is the way we're expected to go with ldap now,
> but what is the point of a db that can't grow as needed? It seems
> rather limiting (and old school - remember early unix programming on
> the old IBM mainframes and DOS for the PC's later with the 640k
> limit), so why the push in this direction? Or is it expected that
> this will be resolved in the future?

I think there is some misunderstanding, slapd-mdb(5) is quite clear:

maxsize <bytes>
Specify  the maximum size of the database in bytes. A
memory map of this size is allocated at startup time and the database
will not be allowed to grow beyond this size.
You are still free to resize the database to yout requirements.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://sys4.de