Re: adding a custom attribute

--On Tuesday, December 02, 2014 10:55 PM +0200 Igor Shmukler <igor.shmukler@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I want to have an ability add "custom attribute[s]" to my LDAP records.
For example, such an attribute could be sipTelephone, mobile and/or
something else.

I did a little digging. Please advise whether I am on the right track.

My understanding, at present, is that I would have to modify
core.schema [located on my Ubuntu under /etc/ldap/schema ] and perhaps
some other schema files from the same directory.

I found various syntax OIDs. For telephones, for example -
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.50 should be the right one. There is
another OID for strings - 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 for UTF-8
coded strings.

Is editing core.schema the correct way to go? I am eagerly looking for
advice.

Never, ever, edit core.schema.

You can apply for your own OID, create your own attributes, and then create objectClasses that use them. That is the correct way to do things.

Server Architect
Zimbra, Inc.