syncrepl and change in ordering

Hello,

I've a openldap 2.4.30 syncrepl setup which is used by our applications. There are over 50 servers in the setup.
I want to upgrade our application to the next version. In a single downtime, all servers cannot be upgraded. So the application will be upgraded in phase wise manner. Application upgrade requires some changes in ldap schemas. I want to update the schemas in same phases as the application so as to avoid separate downtime for schema update. I'm planning to update schema on the consumers first and provider last so that during the phases, some servers with old schemas and others with new schemas both replicate properly.

schemachecking is set to off on all servers.

I understand that new attributes added in schema will not be present on provider at the beginning, so there is no question of their replication.
I've compared the schemas and found that none of the attributes is deleted.
Only change is that for some attributes we have added 'ordering' and for some we have changed the 'equality'.

I'm not using cn=config - if that is a consideration.

So will it all work ?
Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
Amol Kulkarni.