Re: getting warning:var/lib/ldap/__db.004 is not owned by "ldap" and ldap wont start

thanks. I sort this one out.

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>
To: wailok tam <wailoktam@yahoo.com>; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: getting warning:var/lib/ldap/__db.004 is not owned by "ldap" and ldap wont start

--On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:36 AM +0000 wailok tam

<wailoktam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, all, I get the warning given in the title and ldap stops even after
> reporting to start successfully.
>

> The error is fixed by doing a chown for the affected files. It was
> mysteriously changed to root.
> I change it back to ldap and it works again. However, I want to know what
> has caused this to happen.
> Anyone can help?

This often happens when someone has a cron job running via root.  In any
case, slapd itself will not change the ownership of those files unless you
start it as root instead of your ldap user.

Server Architect
Zimbra, Inc.
Zimbra ::  the leader in open source messaging and collaboration