Re: multi master replication

So I found an example for setting up multi master replication using slapd.conf

slapd.conf for MASTER 1

# slapd master ldap1.example.com
# global section
serverID 001

database bdb

access to *
     by dn.base="cn=admin,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com" read
     by * read

syncrepl rid=000
  provider=ldap://ldap2.example.com
  type=refreshAndPersist
  retry="5 5 300 +"
  searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
  attrs="*,+"
  bindmethod=simple
  binddn="cn=admin,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com"
  credentials=secret

index objectClass eq

mirrormode TRUE

overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10

slapd.conf for MASTER 2

# slapd master ldap2.example.com
# global section
serverID 002

database bdb

access to *
     by dn.base="cn=admin,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com" read
     by * read

syncrepl rid=000
  provider=ldap://ldap1.example.com
  type=refreshAndPersist
  retry="5 5 300 +"
  searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
  attrs="*,+"
  bindmethod=simple
  binddn="cn=admin,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com"
  credentials=secret

index objectClass eq

mirrormode TRUE

overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10

My question is - Do the credentials have to be clear text passwords? If not, how do I mention encrypted passwords? (I tried within quotes ' ' and " ", but each time got invalid credentials error)