Re: openldap 2.4.40 with cyrus sasl 2.1.26 on ubuntu 12.04lts

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 08:57:17AM -0500, Guruprasad Kulkarni wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    The default installation for
>    ​cyrus-sasl​ is /usr/local/lib/sasl2
>    I created a symlink from /usr/local/lib/sasl2 to /usr/lib/sasl2
>
>    I set LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/sasl2"
>
>    I then configured openldap:
>    ./configure --enable-hdb --enable-ppolicy --enable-syncprov
>    --with-cyrus-sasl
>
>    During make depend, I get the error:
>    plugin.c:33:18: fatal error: ltdl.h: No such file or directory
>
>    I searched my filesystem and could not find this header file.

You might check if you have the libltdl-dev package installed (not an Ubuntu user, fair warning). On Debian derivatives you can also install apt-file, do 'apt-file update' as root and then, at least for my Debian 7 machine:

$ apt-file search ltdl.h
lam4-dev: /usr/include/lam/lam_ltdl.h
libltdl-dev: /usr/include/ltdl.h
libltdl-dev: /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h
libnewlib-dev: /usr/lib/newlib/i486-linux-gnu/include/ltdl.h
libopenmpi-dev: /usr/lib/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/libltdl/ltdl.h

Generally you'll see that if you install "libthing" you will also have to install a package like "libthing-dev" or "libthing-devel" to also get the headers that you can use to compile things with.

If you're compiling you might also consider linking against OpenSSL not GnuTLS for your ssl/tls, the topic intermittently comes up on this list and the response is "use openssl".