RE: adding VLV support to OpenLDAP 2.4.31

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Chris Card <ctcard@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is clear from the man slapo-sssvlv(5) page that when slapd.conf is
>>> being used, the options should appear after the overlay directive.
>>> Even I got this. Where those options should go when cn=config is used?
>>> I do not understand it from the man page. Is this something to be
>>> specified using ldapmodify?
>>
>> You need to use ldapadd with ldif like this:
>>
>> dn: olcOverlay=sssvlv,olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config
>> objectClass: olcSssVlvConfig
>> olcOverlay: sssvlv
>> olcSssVlvMax: 10
>> olcSssVlvMaxKeys: 5
>>
>> something like
>>
>> ldapadd -x -w <password> -D cn=config -f <ldif file>
>>

> Thank you Chris,
>
> This is exactly what I needed.
> Should I put the leif file into the
> /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/cn=schema directory or
> /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn\=config/ directory? What is the recommended
> place?
> [I see that -D is to specify binddn, yet I am not sure whether LDIF
> should go there. Sorry for being stupid.]

Don't update anything under /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn\=config by hand!

The configuration is held in an LDAP directory with suffix cn=config, and
you add stuff to it in exactly the same way as any other LDAP directory,
using ldapadd, ldapmodify etc.

The fact that you can see files under /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config is just
an artifact of the implementation of the cn=config db in openldap, and I believe
it is planned to change the implementation in the future.

Chris