adding VLV support to OpenLDAP 2.4.31

Hello,

I apologize if I am posting to the wrong mailing list.

I have a simple problem, which I am sure any OpenLDAP administrator
can easily solve...
I am not an administrator, however. Hence being unable to answer this
trivial question presents a real problem. I am stuck. Any assistance
would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to add Virtual List View support to an OpenLDAP server on
hosted Ubuntu. The distro version is Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. The OpenLDAP
server is already running. I receive responses to basic commands, but
VLV is not working. When I run the version command, I get:

vq@vq-HVM-domU:~$ slapd -VV @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd (Ubuntu) (Mar 17
2014 21:20:08) $
buildd@aatxe:/build/buildd/openldap-2.4.31/debian/build/servers/slapd

I added the following lines to the slapd.conf file (located for some
reason in a funky place /usr/share/slapd/slapd.conf )

moduleload sssvlv.so
overlay sssvlv

My path seems to be OK:
modulepath /usr/lib/ldap

The dynamic library appears to be in the right place as well:

vq@vq-HVM-domU:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/ldap/sssvlv.so lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root
19 Mar 17 2014 /usr/lib/ldap/sssvlv.so -> sssvlv-2.4.so.2.8.3

vq@vq-HVM-domU:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/ldap/sssvlv-2.4.so.2.8.3 -rw-r--r-- 1
root root 26872 Mar 17 2014 /usr/lib/ldap/sssvlv-2.4.so.2.8.3

I cut out a piece of dmesg, just in case:

[ 0.000000] Linux version 3.13.0-32-generic (buildd@kissel) (gcc
version 4.8. 2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15
03:51:08 UTC 2014 (Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.57-generic 3.13.11.4)

I tried to figure out how to see what OpenLDAP modules are loaded, but
did not find the appropriate documentation, at least quickly. Sorry
again. I am sure the list subscribers where where to look. I
unfortunately do not.

There is no slapd-config executable on this system. Hence, I am
assuming that slapd.conf is being used.

Please advise what I am missing and/or doing wrong. Any suggestions are welcome

If this is a totally wrong place to ask, please direct me to an
appropriate resource. The server fault forums did not produce
immediate results.

Thank you,

Igor Shmukler