export directory in LDIF format

I have a strange problem exporting my directory into LDIF format. I am using
the "mdb" format with openldap.

/usr/local/sbin/slapcat -l MyDomain.net.ldif -b "dc=MyDomain,dc=net"

If I run this command after starting "slapd", it works fine. However, I have
this configured to run from a CRON job at midnight. It fails with this
message:

5460a615 mdb_db_open: database "dc=MyDomain,dc=net" cannot be opened: No such
file or directory (2). Restore from backup! 5460a615 backend_startup_one
(type=mdb, suffix="dc=MyDomain,dc=net"): bi_db_open failed! (2) slap_startup
failed

This also occurs from the command line if the database has not been accessed
for several hours, usually on a weekend. Restarting "slapd" immediately
corrects the problem.

I have checked and "slapd" is running when the failure occurs. I tried
accessing the database and then using the backup command; however, the
failure still continues. That is assuming that it failed to begin with
obviously.

Is there some sort of a "sleep" mode or something like that, that I am not
aware of, or some really hard to debug "bug" somewhere?

--
Jerry