Re: Trying to switch from bdb to mdb

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 13:36:40 -0800
Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:

> --On November 3, 2014 at 9:54:56 PM +0100 Dieter Klünter
> <dieter@dkluenter.de> wrote:
> > Quanah,
> > be patient, remember 14-15 years ago we had almost the same questions
> > and problems.
>
> I'm simply trying to ascertain where there was a documentation failure as
> was asserted by Jerry.  I fail to see what's wrong with that.
>
> --Quanah

The problem is that I failed to realize that I needed to place:

moduleload    back_mdb.la

in my slapd.conf file. I had other entries there, "back_bdb" "back_hda",
etcetera, but none ended in ".la" I simple changed the moduleload to
"back_mdb" which obviously did not work. Thanks to Dieter Klünter who pointed
this out to me, I was able to get everything up and running as I wanted.

Now Howard Chu, who obviously was born a frigging genius doesn't understand
that while I spend two days reading every frigging thing I could get my hands
on, the one thing I never ran across was an actual working config for
openldap utilizing "mdb". Now that I know what I was suppose to be looking
for, I found a reference to it
<http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/backends.html> 11. Backends. The problem
is since I did not have any backends that had the ".la" extension, it did not
occur to me that I needed to use it.

This is the stock slapd.conf "backend modules" section that is created when
openldap is installed via the FreeBSD ports system. Obviously, I added the
"back_mdb.la" entry. I don't know why neither the "back_bdb" or "back_hdb"
have that extension though. However, they do work. That is what led to my
confusion.

# Load dynamic backend modules:
modulepath      /usr/local/libexec/openldap
moduleload      back_bdb
moduleload      back_mdb.la
# moduleload    back_hdb
# moduleload    back_ldap

Anyway, it is working now and I have Dieter to thank for that. Interestingly
enough, I never received any help on the FreeBSD forum, although I did get a
few requests for how to do it if I ever got it to work. Obviously, the
geniuses over there aren't all that brilliant either. I did get the port
maintainer for openldap at FreeBSD to agree to rework the port and have it
configured for "mdb" and not "bdb" when installed new. Time will tell though.

--
Jerry