Advice sought regarding logging changes made to OpenLDAP server

I've been asked to log & track changes made to our LDAP system. My
initial thought was to use the auditlog overlay as it outputs to a
text file, thus making it relatively straightforward to parse, but a
2009 discussion
(http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/200911/msg00092.html)
suggested a potential problem, namely no logging of time and name for
deletes.

Replies to that discussion suggested the use of accesslog instead.
However, that logs to a database which isn't really what I'm after. A
2011 discussion
(http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201104/msg00084.html)
sought answers similar to the one I'm looking for now, namely is there
a way of getting changes logged into a text file?

One of the replies (from Quanah) suggested ldap-stats.pl but I'm not
looking for stats - I'm looking for the actual changes being made.

Since both of those discussions are quite old, I was wondering if
there was any up-to-date advice regarding best practice for the sort
of information I'm trying to capture?

Thanks.

Philip