Re: OpenLDAP as proxy to Active Directory backend

Jeff Lebo wrote:
Goal: LDAP server in Internet facing DMZ to provide authentication for
externally hosted applications using internal AD credentials.

I've done a LOT of reading and testing, and there is one thing I am still not
100% clear on:

Is it possible to do this WITHOUT having a local user database on the OpenLDAP
proxy?  We will have thousands of users that will need to authenticate, and I
can't maintain another user database (adds, removes, etc..).  Is there a way
to make OpenLDAP just act more like a reverse proxy and forward anything that
matches a specific domain on to the internal LDAP/AD server for password
verification?

That's exactly what back-ldap does. A couple other posts have already pointed you to its manpage/documentation. Everything else mentioned so far (SASL passthrough) is misdirection.

--
  -- Howard Chu