Re: schema for host info?

Howard Chu wrote:
> Doug OLeary wrote:
>> I'm looking to store some host information in an ldap directory.  Example
>> attributes are:
>>
>> *   Hostname
>> *   IP
>> *   Netmask
>> *   Default gateway
>> *   Remote console info
>> *   H/W
>> *   Serial number
>> *   Distribution List addresses to contact if the system has issues.
>>
>> Some of those are obvious: host, iphostnumber, ipnetmasknumber and
>> serialnumber; the others somewhat less so.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how I could approach getting this information in my
>> directory?
>
> Sounds like you should define your own attributes and objectclass. I'd
> consider making it a subjclass of ipHost.

Depending on how your hosts' network setup is that is much harder than it
looks at first. I was experimenting with object classes for hosts with several
network adapters in different VLANs with the latter being child entries of
hosts. Work on that is currently stalled.

I think you should first try to define which LDAP applications are supposed to
make use of the data. How about also taking a closer look at DHCP and DNS
servers making use of a LDAP backend and their schema files first? IMHO those
are not sufficient, but can give you some inspiration on what's needed.

(Shameless plug: web2ldap's schema browser is the most versatile tool for
digging into a subschema subentry.)

Ciao, Michael.