Re: CA and Intermediate Certificates

Andrew Devenish-Meares <adevenis@une.edu.au> writes:

> We're currently starting to migrate our certificates to AusCERT, as we
> get a good deal as a University.  As AusCERT is an intermediate CA, so
> we need to use a chain to get this to work.
> [...]
> This means that we need to install the intermediate certificate on
> clients that connect to our LDAP using SSL or TLS.  Admittedly this
> isn't vastly different to what we need to do now in supplying our own CA.

You have to put the chain leading to the well-known root CA into your
server certificate file:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[your server cert]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[the intermediate certificate (issuer of your server cert)]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[possible other intermediate certificate (issuer of your intermediate cert)]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

You may include the well-known root CA at the end (as the final issuer),
but that is not necessary, as that certificate must be present and
trusted on the client systems anyway.
Feri.