Re: Addressbook in LDAP ... should be simple right?

On 08/07/14 21:47, Adam Goryachev wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand what you are suggesting.
It is definitely a centrally administered system, and the address book is managed by IT only.

Could I have a simple "person" record which is named Managers, and contains multiple email addresses, such that Thunderbird would automatically send an email to every email address listed for the contact?
Nope, thunderbird only displays the first value, so this doesn't work
Actually, I don't think that would work since Thunderbird should assume you only want to send the email to one email address for the contact. Maybe a single email field with comma separated email addresses all in the one field...
Also no, thunderbird helpfully "escapes" value so that the mail server will only try to deliver to the single address, I've removed the config now, but it was something like:
John Smith ""<user\@domain.com,user2@domain.com,user3@domain.com>"

I didn't think it would work, so didn't actually send an email.

I've now thought it might work to just set the "organization" value to the users branch, which should at least allow a user to view the addressbook, and select all the users in the branch, and then send an email. The other option is to allow the user to "search" for the branch, and then select all the users. None of these actually provide an ideal solution from a usability point of view though.

So, does anyone even use ldap for a email address book (with any email client)? How do you use that/make it work?

Thanks again for your suggestions, I will look into sogo at some stage, but my current readings suggested it was not a stable platform to try to use daily in a company environment... Even though carddav would work nicely on the mobiles.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au