Re: Addressbook in LDAP ... should be simple right?

Liam Gretton wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 05:28, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>> I've been messing with LDAP for the past couple of days, and following
>> various online tutorials on how to create an addressbook for Thunderbird
>> in openldap.
>
> [...]
>
>> However, thunderbird doesn't seem to have any smart way to show this
>> group...
>
> I think you'll find that Thunderbird's address book has no concept of
> groups at all.

It has lists. But AFAIK it does not know a LDAP schema for lists (which means
expanding addresses for all group members).

> But you could use an attribute like employeeType (from
> the inetOrgPerson objectClass) instead, and TB can make use of that.
>
> Have a dig around in TB's about:config editor and look at all the
> 'attrmap' options - you'll find that all the fields in a TB address book
> entry can be mapped to LDAP attributes however you see fit.
> Unfortunately they can't be mapped to search filters, so you can't
> really do anything useful with memberOf.

I can't see how this all is useful for Thunderbird recognizing any kind of
group entry as list.

If you have a central IT infrastructure I'd rather add simple entries with
'mail' attribute and let the MTA expand the addresses. Caveat is that the MUA
(Thunderbird) won't know all recipient addresses and therefore can't e.g. use
e-mail encryption with PGP or S/MIME.

Ciao, Michael.