Re: ldapsearch utf-8 results

Charles Bueche wrote:
> I have noticed the same issue when talking to an AD server (very recent
> version, I think 2012 or so). In fact, I think either AD or ldapsearch
> is encoding the values values in Base64. I will soon know more because I
> will start to use the results in a real app. Maybe we have to decode
> them explicitly.
>
> It's easy to do the detection (emcoded or not), as in ldapsearch, the
> key is followed by two columns instead of one. Example below:

> cn:: SGFucyBSw7xja21hbm4=
>
> is decoding to Hans Rückmann (hope the mailing list will transport it
> correctly, its a U-umlaut after the R).

This is the LDIF and *not* the attribute value itself.

Everybody who is confused about this base64 stuff should read RFC 2849 now.

Again I recommend to use a decent scripting language with LDAP module.

From http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2849

      4)  Any dn or rdn that contains characters other than those
          defined as "SAFE-UTF8-CHAR", or begins with a character other
          than those defined as "SAFE-INIT-UTF8-CHAR", above, MUST be
          base-64 encoded.  Other values MAY be base-64 encoded.  Any
          value that contains characters other than those defined as
          "SAFE-CHAR", or begins with a character other than those
          defined as "SAFE-INIT-CHAR", above, MUST be base-64 encoded.
          Other values MAY be base-64 encoded.

Ciao, Michael.