Re: RDN

Brett @Google wrote:
Yes their extreme details are lacking, but at an introductory level, they
explain things very well for newcomers that all the grizzled old timers could
not be bothered explaining. I think they should avoid the extreme detail
(which can change over time) and stick to general ldap principals. LDAP is a
odd beast, if you have not already been doing it for a decade or so.

So they provide some value. But perhaps not to grizzled old timers (present
company excluded of course).

It would be fine if their "value-added" content was correct. But in fact, the only content that is correct is the material they plagiarized from the OpenLDAP Admin Guide. Whenever they wander off into their own explanations of how things work they're always far off the mark.

Cheers
Brett

    <mailto:mj@netauth.com>> wrote:

     > Quoting Artur Nike <opalsie@gmail.com <mailto:opalsie@gmail.com>>:
     >
     >> Hi all,
     >>

     >> Is the suffix  dc=example,dc=com in tree is a valid rdn ?
     >
     > A suffix is an RDN of it's own entry because it sits at the root and is
    relative to itself. However, if your suffix was dc=com, and you created a
    subentry called dc=example, then it's a different story. So, it just
    depends on how you construct your suffix.

     >> and whether the drawing
     >> http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch2/dit-dn-rdn.pngis correct?
     >
     > All in all, everything I have seen in zytrax is high quality info

    Then you must not read their LDAP bits very closely. They are quite often
    dead wrong in what they have online and the best thing for everyone would
    be for their site to go offline.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause
and reflect.

- Mark Twain

--
  -- Howard Chu