New LDAP installation ?

Hi List,

I'm new to setting up LDAP so please be nice... :)

I would like to achieve:
- SingleSignOn using AD username/password on my Linux servers (currently we are running NIS)
- use strong encryption (very least no username/passwords in clear text)
- be able to keep current NIS uid/gid(s)
- use autofs on my linux servers

- For my purpose - would I need to populate/maintain a LDAP tree or would other tools e.g. winbind be sufficient ?
- Does anyone have experience with puppet module torian-ldap that could give an example of their manifest ?

Thanks in advance :) !

Br.
~maymann