RE: pplolicy lockout grace time? - alternatives

> Chris Jacobs wrote:
> >> First of all, password lockout itself is a dumb idea, and we only
> >> implement it because it's part of the original ppolicy spec. The
> >> ppolicy spec is pathetically bad though.
> >
> > What methods aren't dumb ideas that accomplish account unavailability on
> N password failures?
>
> Look at a later rev of the spec - use increasing delays. It's the standard
> approach used by Unix for 40-some years.

Is that implementable in OpenLDAP or is this on a per client basis?
If client, for all practical purposes that's not exactly 'doable', forcing us back to the auth source - OpenLDAP. Think of configuring pfSense, F5 BigIP, httpd, pam, etc. Some certainly are configurable for that, but the how at first google search pass seems to be wide and varied.

FWIW: I'd love to get out of the 'can you unlock my account' business, and this to be implementable via OpenLDAP, although I kind of doubt it is; (it might communicate the command to delay - clients would have to understand so back to client ability dependency, or it might just delay a response to the client - which seems like a bad idea).

> --
>    -- Howard Chu
>    CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com
>    Director, Highland Sun     http://highlandsun.com/hyc/
>    Chief Architect, OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/project/

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.