Re: DIT for an academic institution

--On September 25, 2013 at 9:46:44 AM +0530 Shali 9846303531 <shalib2@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

I am new to these LDAP concepts , i have prepared a DIT for our
organization with two academic institutions with each institution having
different branches of study and also there is staff and students . i have
attached the DIT , if am going through a wrong way kindly guide me.

Generally, I would recommend something like

dc=example,dc=com

below that:

cn=people,dc=example,dc=com
cn=groups,dc=example,dc=com
cn=orgs,dc=example,dc=com

etc

If you want to track people's affiliation (staff, student, etc), you should do that IN the person entry itself. It is not uncommon, particularly in educational institutions, for people to be both staff & student, etc.

You can also store organizational affiliations for the person within the person object. You may want to take a look at how Stanford University organized its ldap server.

<https://itservices.stanford.edu/service/directory>

Server Architect
Zimbra, Inc